Beef Brocolli Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 medium broccoli crown (about 12 ounces), cut into bite-sized small florets (about 5 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce, divided
- 4 cups cooked brown or white rice, chilled
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Freshly ground black or white pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 medium scallions, thinly sliced
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick frying pan or wok over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the beef, break it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, and cook until halfway cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli, cover, and cook, stirring every minute or so, until the broccoli is crisp tender and the beef is cooked through, about 4 minutes total.
Add the garlic, drizzle in 1 tablespoon of the tamari or soy sauce, stir to combine, and cook for 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl; set aside.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan over medium-high heat. Add the rice, remaining 2 tablespoons of tamari or soy sauce, and sesame oil. Season with pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is heated through, about 4 minutes.
Push the rice to one half of the pan and add the beaten eggs to the other half. Season the eggs with salt and pepper, then stir occasionally with a rubber spatula until almost set, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, add the broccoli and beef, sprinkle with the scallions, and gently fold everything together with the rubber spatula, breaking up any large pieces of egg. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.