Beef Fried Rice
- 1 lb. beef, cut into bite-size pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 3 cup leftover white rice
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- In a medium bowl, season meat with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon sugar, then toss with cornstarch until well-coated. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add eggs and scramble using a rubber spatula; transfer to a plate. Turn heat on high, and add another teaspoon of oil. Add meat, working in batches, and cook until seared all over, about 2 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- In same skillet over medium-low heat, add 2 tablespoons oil, onion, garlic, ginger, and cook until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add peas and 2 tablespoons water, and cook until peas are tender. Add cooked rice and break up using spatula, cooking 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in soy sauce, white vinegar, pepper, remaining 4 teaspoons sugar, and sesame oil. Add back meat and eggs, then toss together and serve immediately.