Mexican Ground Beef Casserole Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 500g (1 lb) ground beef (mince), lean
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup long grain white rice , uncooked (Note 1)
- 2.5 cups (625 ml) chicken broth/stock , low sodium
- 400g (14oz) can corn kernels , drained (Note 2)
- 400g (14oz) can black beans , drained (or other beans)
- 1 capsicum/bell pepper , diced
- 1 cup green onions/shallots
- 2 cups (200g) cheese , shredded (anything that melts! Note 3)
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper (Note 4)
- 1.5 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp coriander
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp alt
Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook 1 1/2 minutes until onion is translucent.
Add beef and cook, breaking it up as you go, until you no longer see raw meat (about 2 minutes).
Add Mexican Spices and cook for 30 seconds.
Add capsicum and cook for 1 minute.
Add tomato paste and broth, stir to mix in.
Add rice, corn and black beans.
Stir, bring to simmer then cover and lower heat to medium low (simmering gently). Cook 15 minutes.
Remove lid, quickly stir through green onion and HALF the cheese.
Smooth top then sprinkle on remaining cheese. Cover and leave for 1 minute just to melt cheese.
Remove from stove and serve immediately, garnished with more green onion if desired.