Onigiri (Japanese Rice Balls)
- Cook rice according to package directions, remove from pan or rice cooker, fluff with a fork or a rice paddle and set aside.
- Cut nori seaweed into strips of desired size (use more or less as you like!)
- Drain tuna and mix with mayonnaise and relish in a small bowl.
- Wet onigiri press by running under cold water. Fill the press about 1/2 way full of rice and carefully make an indent in the center with a finger or spoon dampened in salt and water.
- Fill each indent with about 1/2 teaspoon of the tuna mixture, then more rice until evenly covered.
- Place the base of the press over the rice and apply firm, even pressure until the rice is compacted, but not crushed.
If serving immediately:
- Remove onigiri from the press, wrap with nori seaweed and serve.
If transporting for lunch:
- Remove onigiri from the press and wrap in cellophane. Refrigerate until packed. Store nori separately and wrap your rice ball just before eating.
Total fat - 5g
Saturated Fat - 1g
Trans Fat - 0g
Unsaturated Fat - 4g
Cholesterol - 7mg
Sodium - 119mg
Carbohydrates - 27g
Fiber - 1g
Sugar - 1g
Protein - 6g