- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tamari soy, or shoyu sauce
- 1 or 2 drops liquid smoke optional
- 8 ounce package tempeh sliced
Tempeh or tempe is a traditional Indonesian soy product that is made from fermented soybeans. It is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form
For the rice:
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 or 2 kaffir leaves optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 heaping cup sprouts
- 1 heaping cup grated or julienne carrots
- 1 heaping cup grated or julienne beets
- 2 green onions sliced diagonally
- 2 soft cooked eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Additional tamari or hoisin sauce for dressing optional
Marinate the tempeh
Whisk together the hoisin sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, tamari, and liquid smoke (if using) until smooth. Arrange the tempeh slices in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over the slices. Turn each slice to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for several hours, preferably overnight.
Cook the rice
Bring the broth or water to a boil in a medium sauce pot. Add the rice and kaffir leaves (if using), reduce heat to maintain an active simmer, and cover. Cook the rice for the time indicated on the package directions (I simmer the rice for 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the rice steam, untouched, on the burner for 20 to 25 minutes more).
Cook the tempeh
Heat a skillet over medium, and cook the tempeh slices in a single layer, turning once, until nice and brown on both sides.
Divide the rice among two serving bowls, layering each with half of the tempeh, sprouts, carrots, and beets.
Gently peel and slice the eggs, and nestle two halves in the rice of each bowl.
Top with green onions and a sprinkle of cilantro. If desired, add a dash or two of tamari sauce or a drizzle of water-thinned hoisin over the bowls.
Credits: Soup Addict